FOXPRO Forums

FOXPRO Forums (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/index.php)
-   Feline Hunting (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   BOBCAT Hunting Information, Tips and Tactics (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=14035)

Sonny Pruitt 01-15-2018 09:46 AM

BOBCAT Hunting Information, Tips and Tactics

These Forums were designed and instituted by FoxPro in order for us to share our hunting stories and information, tips and tactics. So what I am trying to do with this thread is initiate some dialogue or exchange of ideas that will help us ALL, including myself in reference to one of the most difficult predators to hunt. Notice I didn't say to call. In my opinion they're easier to call than most people think, ONCE YOU LOCATE THEM.

I ask that you list some of your favorite setups, tips or tactics, sounds etc. Please stay on topic and don't get distracted by disagreement with someone else's opinions.

Adding motion to my decoy was a significant contributor to success. FoxJack #4

Hunting alone prevents extra movement on stand. They are sight hunters and movement is their key to food and "self-defense."

They are more of a crepuscular creatures (low light) than we think. I no longer wait till darkness falls. I will hunt them in the daylight hours(especially at dusk and dawn) as well, especially on overcast cloudy days with a frontal system approaching. A southerly breeze or wind is very conducive to bobcat movement.

Find them, by any means, before you try to call them. Trail cameras, Farmers information, positively ID'd tracks, droppings/toilet sites. Don't hunt where you simply think they should be.

As far as sounds, they are very curious animals(curiosity killed the cat). They will respond to a number of distress sounds, rabbits, birds, I've called them in using a combination of FoxPro Lost Hen and Turkey Distress. But the one call-in that sticks out in my mind is a big Tom came in and died to the FoxPro sound Platinum Gray Fox Pup in Jan 2017, again Curiosity killed that cat.

Here in Virginia, a young pine thicket/cutover generated by a recent timber operation will generally show more bobcat sign than most areas. Their favorite habitat is pines 8 years old and younger. Reasons for that is simply food supply is abundant, plus a great security blanket of cover there.

Please add your thoughts to this thread. Bobcat hunting is difficult and doesn't generate many posts or discussions.

XNAVYORDIE 01-15-2018 10:09 AM

Great thread Sonny......I will be following this with interest. Archer and I are headed to NC for a Cat hunt next month.

.....may have to stop by for a Icehouse on the way down/back.....; )

Sonny Pruitt 01-15-2018 10:42 AM

Good luck, wishing you the best. Give me a holler.

Sonny Pruitt 01-16-2018 08:44 AM

Some very applicable tips and information for calling in a bobcat during the daytime

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9pIJEDkFU

Jingles 12-31-2018 05:46 PM

Talk about getting discouraged been out before first light so to be set up at the crack of dawn in an area where the tracks look more like deer trails than cat trails only to come home empty handed using titmouse tantrum, raspy woodpecker, wacky woodpecker lots of ravens come in and circle but no bobbies any suggestions.
Would go out and spend the night but using hand held lights so kinda hard to hold light and line up scope.

Sonny Pruitt 12-31-2018 06:09 PM

Jingles, with your light issue, I would go to a Wicked Scan Pro Headlamp, it always looks where you look. Arms don't tire out. When you get eyes, turn on your scope light and turn off your headlamp. Try allpredatorcalls.com or NightHunting Warehouse. They both carry them.

Use a "motion" decoy on your FoxPro. That will lock them up on the caller and decoy and they won't be looking at or for you. They are known for coming in and sitting down under cover and surveying the situation until they see you or whatever they are looking for. With the decoy, they will have something to look at and hold their interest. Might cause them to stop scanning for danger and just focus on the movement you have provided them and start their stalk.

Sounds like you are in a good area according to the sign you mentioned, all the tracks and stuff, if they are there, they will come eventually. Be persistent , stay after them.

Good luck
Sonny

XNAVYORDIE 01-01-2019 10:54 AM

Doc, ditto what Sonny recommended with the Wicked Scan Pro.....I love mine. Last year bought the combo package (Scan Pro and 403 light). It made a world of difference. Frees up your hands.

Sonny Pruitt 01-01-2019 10:55 AM

That cat I just posted was shot in the middle of the afternoon. Don't shy away from daytime calling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jingles 01-02-2019 07:38 PM

Well, as Gomer Pyle used to say surprise surprise surprise, went in yesterday to try for a bobbie and on the way in came across fresh tracks in the snow of Bobbies Much Larger relative these tracks were 4.5 to 5 inches across, found a good spot to set up caller with the foxjack and a spot to set about 65 yards away with my back against a rocky slide and over hang don't need a Big cat coming in from behind when I'm out there alone and no cell service

Sonny Pruitt 01-02-2019 07:45 PM

I don't have that kinda of problem here in Virginia. Enjoy the hunt and good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk