FOXPRO Forums

FOXPRO Forums (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/index.php)
-   Fox Hunting (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   204 for fox (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=14172)

Dogskinner 03-06-2018 01:48 PM

204 for fox

My brother and i are planning our first trip south to go after grey fox. He has a 204 and wants to be able to bring them home to tan. What grain and bullet would be the best? Ibe heatd good things about the hornady 45 grain soft point ammo. Thanks in advance

Chris B 03-07-2018 11:24 AM

I bought a 204 for fox and it hasn’t been fur friendly for me at all. The 40gr vmax hornady’s would put a baseball exit in every one. This year I switched to the 45 gr soft points and took a grey fox double and had just as much damage as the vmax’s. Both shots were close range tho, 30 yards each, both front facing shots. If you have the time, I think it may be beneficial to have someone work you up some handloads that would work better.

I actually decided to use my 204 on coyotes only now, and picked up a 17 WSM for fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XNAVYORDIE 03-07-2018 12:30 PM

Remember that the 204 is designed to be a small rocket with laser trajectory to make red mist out of little varmints with a 32gr pill......heavier bullets in most factory barrels won't stabilize as well and take away accuracy/speed/trajectory...

....that said, play with slowing down the heavier bullets (35/39/40). I've had good success slowing down the 40gr Vmax.....BUT, you lose the trajectory and range.

The 204 to me, is a "cover the bases" type round in predator hunting. I switched to it for fox recently (from 17Hornet) in case a yote strolls into the call.

If I'm hunting strictly Yotes the 204 stays home and the 243 gets the nod.

If I'm strictly hunting fox where there is not likely a chance of Yotes coming in the 17Hornet may get some love....

Night Eyes 03-07-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogskinner (Post 86085)
My brother and i are planning our first trip south to go after grey fox. He has a 204 and wants to be able to bring them home to tan. What grain and bullet would be the best? Ibe heatd good things about the hornady 45 grain soft point ammo. Thanks in advance

For the record a 204 will kill a fox or coyote dead as dead can be with the proper bullet and shot placement within a given range. At a range of a 100yds or less one is hard press to find a bullet that wont blow a hole in or out the other side of a delicate fox hide.

For grey fox (which are generally are shot at close range) try keeping shots just off center of the chest when their facing you. Broadside shot, the frags may still have enough energy to blow the other side. The velocity and energy from a 204 45 gr.SP are going to want to blow thru regardless of shot angle. I shot many fox with a 22 mag 40 gr bullet traveling at 1910fps, the round would blow out the other side. Them 45gr SP are over 3600 fps. Your brother might want to consider 24 gr. NTX Its faster but the jacket is design to come apart quicker. You don't need much penetration to get into the vitals. However he will run the risk of blowing a hole on contact. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Dogskinner 03-07-2018 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys, Night eyes we decided to leave his 204 home because we dont want to chance it. We are mainly going for grey fox because we dont have them in S E Idaho. So if we have to pass on a coyote cause its to far we will.i think since we can get a deal on some marlin 17 hmrs that we will do that for anything 150yds and in with the 20 grain bullets. As for anything out passed that ill have my 17 remington with nagel bullets. Anything coming in closer than 50 will get the 12 ga.

kim204 03-09-2018 09:31 PM

I use the 32gr. bitzking on coyotes I don't have problems with big hole, the bullets come apart in side.