PDA

View Full Version : Wildfire trouble

Olemossyhorns
01-09-2013, 12:18 AM
I purchased a new foxpro wildfire in December. During my stands, the call locks up and the remote won't mute the call, change the sound or anything. I can even walk right up to it and it still won't work. I have to turn the caller off and then back on and then it will work for a bit then the same thing happens. I was using new rayovac batteries. Any suggestions?

mantorvilleyote
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
I purchased a wildfire right after christmas this year and still have yet to come in to this problem but reading some other threads, some other guys are having issues that sound the same as yours. It sounds like either your batteries aren't charged all the way in your call, you have bad batteries or they are getting so cold that they stop working. It has been mentioned to put a chemical handwarmer in the battery compartment and close that back up and you should be good. Maybe try getting the call up off the ground and away from the cold if that's helping cause some of the issues?

FPScott
01-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Olemossyhorns:

Typically when I have spoken with customers who have this problem whether it is with a Wildfire or any other of our callers it can be traced back to the power source. Though alkaline batteries can be used to operate the Wildfire I have found that when the weather turns cold the impedance on the batteries becomes far to great to keep the caller working at 100%. Communication issues between the caller and remote is one of the first things that becomes affected. If you are going to stick with alkalines then I would suggest using Energizer or Duracell just from my experience. Lithium batteries out perform the alkalines but NiMH rechargeable batteries would be the ultimate way to go.

Olemossyhorns
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
I will try Duracell and I've read several problems from people dealing with cold weather but this was when the temps were 45-55 degrees Fahrenheit as the low for the day. That's what stumped me. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

mantorvilleyote
01-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Olemossyhorns, whatever you find out, let us know. Hope your solution can help someone else out in the future with similar problems.

gstrom99
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Olemossyhorns:

Lithium batteries out perform the alkalines but NiMH rechargeable batteries would be the ultimate way to go.

My Wilfire II manual specifically reccomends alkalines. Maybe the manual should be updated???:confused:

artyparty01
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
My Wilfire II manual specifically reccomends alkalines. Maybe the manual should be updated???:confused:

i broke down and bought lithium, which claim to outlast reg batteries 9x. got my wildfire in april 2012 have used it for calling sessions lasting up to an hour between stands, havent had to replace a battery yet. however I do remove the batteries from the caller between hunts. maybe my imagination but i feel this helps lengthen life of the batteries.